A Bit more fettling

The last time I went out for a drive the passenger side window regulator decided to stop working which made it almost impossible to wind down the window. When it eventually got half way down, the glass tipped forward as if it had come out of the window rails. After speaking with a few people in the know, the general opinion was that the window regulator had packed in and it was time to be replaced so it was time to dip my hand in my pocket once more.

 

It is normal that a stabilising bar is fitted inside the doors on most if not all roadsters and given the fact it isn’t a big door in the first place I figured there would not be too much space inside to work with, so instead of getting myself in a muddle I called on my trusty restorer Lee Ridley at Castle Classics to help out.

 

As it happened this turned out to be a smart move in more ways than one because not only was I saving myself from a frustrating time attempting to replace the regulator, it turned out that the replacement part would not fit even though it had the correct part number stamped on it.

 

Between the pair of us we scratched our heads to fathom out what was wrong until Lee found a image of the regulator from the internet which didn’t look identical to the one we were trying to fit. The replacement part when compared to the one in the photo appeared like it had been inncorrectly assembled with one of the arms facing the wrong way. No matter what we tried we could not get it to work properly so Lee had a go at repairing the old regulator before fitting it back inside the door. It works perfectly now, but neither of us are sure how long it will last so I’m preparing myself for a replacement sometime in the future.

Here’s the maestro at work in his workshop. Check out that S1, or better still check out this pic of it below.

Having first hand experience of how good Lee is of restoring E-Types I'm certain the lucky owner of this S1 will be delighted with the finished article.

 

 

A few weeks after visiting Lee it was time to return to Tudor Road Garage for the yearly MOT test. As always it was Mark who checked the car over while I did my usual and walked around the corner to the local cafe. About an hour later I returned to get the good news that we had passed our yearly inspection, although in fairness the car has only done 1300 miles since the test last year so I didn't expect any undue surprises.

 

For a long time I’ve had a rusty spoke in one of the wheels, so today I finally got around to making an appointment with MWS the leading manufacturer of wire wheels who are just a short drive away.

When I arrived I was asked to drive the car into the tyre bay where the fitter removed the wheel and tyre before taking the wheel to his colleague who removed the offending spoke and fitted a nice shiny new one in just a few minutes.

Something I feel spoils the look of all wheels is when you can see the balance weights, especially when there are more than one which was the case on Jagger, so I asked for all wheels to be re balanced with the balance weights fitted only to the inside of the wheel to keep them out of sight.

Once the work was completed I purchased some useful looking cleaning brushes and as soon as I got home I got working. Straight from the off it's easy to see these things are really good at getting in those hard to access places. I wouldn't say the wheels are any quicker to clean but the job is far easier when using these and also, my fingers don't feel like they have been rubbed to the bone.

Starting to look pretty good now, I wonder how long this shine will last.